Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Signs of Spring for the Winter Weary


What a thrill it is to see baby leaves busting out!




After this:

Winter hung in there, like an invalid refusing to die. 
Day after grey day the ice stayed hard; 
the world remained unfriendly and cold.”

~ Neil Gaiman, Odd and the Frost Giants 
(Source ~ goodreads.com)



It's so refreshing to see this:

Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.

L.H. Bailey 
(Source:  quotegarden.com)














We're Ready for Spring Too!























Spirit Muley and Friends








ANTONIO VIVALDI - La primavera 
SPRING CONCERTO NO. 1
Source:  You Tube ~ SimonSAlba


         This popular Vivaldi violin concerto 
        is divided into three movements.
        The counter below lets you know where each part begins.
  
         0:00   1) Allegro
         3:30   2) Largo
         6:20   3) Allegro Pastorale



Note:  A poet, perhaps Vivaldi himself, 
           wrote fours sonnets to go with 
           the four concertos in The Four Seasons.
  
           It is uncertain if the music was written 
           to accompany the sonnets 
           or if the sonnets were written 
           to accompany the music.  
          
           The spring sonnet is divided into three parts, 
           just as the concerto is divided into three movements. 



Spring Sonnet 
(Translation - the original Italian is written in sonnet form
with fourteen lines and a specific rhyme pattern and structure.)

Allegro
Springtime is upon us.
The birds celebrate her return with festive song,
and murmuring streams are softly caressed by the breezes.
Thunderstorms, those heralds of Spring, roar,
casting their dark mantle over heaven,
Then they die away to silence,
and the birds take up their charming songs once more.

Largo
On the flower-strewn meadow,
with leafy branches rustling overhead,
the goat-herd sleeps, his faithful dog beside him.

Allegro Pastorale
Led by the festive sound of rustic bagpipes,
nymphs and shepherds lightly dance
beneath the brilliant canopy of spring.
Source:  en.wikisource.org


               
                      Antonio Vivaldi                      Source:  Wikimedia



So here's to the first baby leaves busting out,
returning robins, and happy deer!
Blankets of snow may still come in our Colorado April,
but they can't hold back 
the excitement of returning spring! 

20 comments:

  1. I am glad spring has finally found you! Love the Bailey poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle!
      I'm glad that you enjoyed Bailey's poem.
      After a long prose period, I find myself returning to poetry again!
      Happy spring to you!

      Delete
  2. You are ahead of us with your blooming. How we rejoice when spring finally arrives. I love The Four Seasons. I first heard Vivaldi when I watched The Four Seasons , a movie with Alan Alda. I thought the music was an integral part of the whole thing. Don't you love that moment of discovering something for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy!
      These are just the very first baby leaves on the earliest leafing trees. But, oh, are they welcome!

      I loved Vivaldi forever. I can't remember when I first hear his concertos,
      but they are written on my heart.

      I spent a lot of time last night reading an excellent Teachers Resource Kit on Vivaldi and The Four Seasons published by the Canadian National Arts Centre. I wanted to provide a link to it in my post, but it blocked me.

      I'll bet you were the kind of GT teacher who would have run with something like this with your kiddos! Didn't I just love running with my kids to explore something new and fascinating! We teachers not only got to discover a lot for the first time, but we also got to see our kiddos discovering too. Is there anything more fun than that? May your spring come soon, Peggy!

      Here the address to view the kit if you are so inclined:
      http://www.artsalive.ca/pdf/mus/tour2004/vivaldi2004_en.pdf

      Delete
  3. I love Vivaldi! Most of our snow is gone here but the trees won't be budding until the end of the month at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra! It's so good to see you back after your amazing trip of my dreams! I do love Vivaldi too! Hurry leaves everywhere!

      Delete
  4. everything is turning green, after such a long winter I was beginning to the think the lawn wouldn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! I kept thinking of The Little Ice Age that hit Europe for about three centuries in the Middle Ages. Here, on the high plains of Colorado, it's been easier on us than in the eastern half of the US. You guys have been through it! Our hungry deer are going after greening grass everywhere. Have a good one!

      Delete
  5. So much better to see than that nasty arse snow, hopefully for a long time that will never show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Pat!
      Hope it's warm and sunny where you're at!

      Delete
  6. You have a lot of deer in your area!
    The two different season shots is cool. That really shows the contrast. Glad you are seeing green finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! Those shots were taken just a few days apart! It always amazes me how the weather can switch drastically here! My big goal for the day (which just started a little while ago because I was up reading most of the night), is to get that IWSG badge up! I just googled it ~ the group has 1,360,000 results. Pretty awesome, Mr. Cavanaugh! Have a good one!

      Delete
  7. I am so excited to see all these beautiful photos!!! I also love the video. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! You always brighten my day! Take care!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your Spring weather. Some nice shots. We've just bought a puppy, and are looking forward to long walks when he grows a little more!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new puppy! How wonderful! A puppy fills your heart in a very special way! Those cute little milk teeth nipping, the soft fur and big eyes, those ridiculous large feet and licky tongue, and unconditional love! Have so much fun, Andrew!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely ode to spring, Louise! And who better to express this in music and verse than Vivaldi....thanks for this. I really think we have seen the last of snow here in Nova Scotia....can just feel its absence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Goodbye winter in NS! We're supposed to get quite cold on Sat. into Sun. with rain into snow precip.! Still have my space heater by my desk! Have a good one!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! But it's springtime in the Rockies, so anything goes! Snow possible on Saturday night! But it's WARM today, so I'll take it while I have it! Take care!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.